Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Love

So someone close to me and I had a talk about love one day (and no I will not say who it is). This person said that they couldn't define love because it is such an abstract concept. If that was the case, would they ever be able to tell someone they "loved" them? This got me thinking about what love really means...

The American Heritage dictionary defines love as:

-A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
-A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
-An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
-A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
-An expression of one's affection
To me love is abstract in that you cannot see it but are definitely able to feel it. When you love someone you know. How?

1. You think about them and it makes you smile.

2. They are someone you want to talk to whether you have good or bad news to share.

3. They are someone you would wake up to and smile that you are next to them (even with eye crusties and morning breath).

4. They are someone who you can share secrets with that only the two of you know about ( and you know what kinda secrets I mean-not the kind you can tell a friend).

While those are just some of the signs of love, I define it more by one of my favorite writings. Although I am Roman Catholic, I am not using my favorite writing which is from the Bible to preach to anyone. It is simply for sharing my thoughts and views and I find this passage is the best way to encompass all my thoughts on the subject of love.

"Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails"

So now you know what I think...what do you think?

No comments: